Although the majority of motorists managed to obey the rules of the Olympic Games Lanes, Transport for London has said that £845,000 was collected from around 6,500 drivers who were fined for straying onto the Olympic Route Network when the lanes were closed to the general public.
Nearly 30 miles of road was cordoned off for use by officials, athletes and dignitaries during the event. Motorists driving in the route while it was closed off faced being fined up to £130. The Lanes came into operation on 25 July, but for the first six days of operations drivers were handed a warning instead of a financial penalty.
Transport for London said that the fines were being issued to deter people from blocking the lanes rather than as a method of raising cash. The body said that there had been a compliance rate of 98 per cent and that an effort was made to open roads when they were not being used.
The fine will now apply to drivers who venture onto the Paralympic Route Network, although the stretch of road being used has been reduced for the sporting event. The rules have been in place since Wednesday and drivers are being warned when the lanes are in operation by information delivered over mobile digital signs.
A spokesman for TfL said although fines were being issued, the enforcement of the rules was sensible and proportionate.